What do you do when you have lots of oranges? You make Orange cake! A very rich and moist cake, full of blueberries and made using fresh squeezed orange juice to give it a wonderful orange flavor.
This recipe is one of my oldest son’s favorites, it is very easy to make with the addition of a little magic to a regular cake mix.
I absolutely love bundt cakes. Bundt cakes are a dream for people like me, who either don’t have the time or are just not that great at fancy cake decorating. Plus, you can’t go wrong in a bundt pan; no lopsided, uneven layer cakes …nope, looks beautiful every time! Well, except for that one time when I forgot to spray the bundt pan with cooking spray …oops!
This recipe is wonderful with or without the blueberries, I make it both ways. If you are adding blueberries, be sure and toss a little dry cake mix with the frozen blueberries so that they are easier to bake with, preventing them from all sinking to the bottom.
I think I will take this cake over to Fiesta Friday Link-up party, come on along and join the fun! 🙂
Until next time …
Orange Cake with Blueberries
- 1 package yellow cake mix, set aside about 2 tablespoons of cake mix for blueberries
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, about 5 oranges
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup of remaining fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, more or less for thickness of glaze (to your liking)
1/4 cup butter
- Grease a 10 inch Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix (except for 2 tablespoons) and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in 3/4 cup orange juice, oil, eggs and lemon extract. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Toss rinsed, slightly frozen blueberries in the remaining (2 tablespoons) cake better (to prevent blueberries from going to bottom during baking) add blueberries to cake better and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat 1/3 – 1/4 cup orange juice, sugar and butter for two minutes. Drizzle over cake.
- Top with chopped almonds and enjoy 🙂