Buttery sugar cookies with white chocolate butter cream frosting and peppermint sprinkles …so good their naughty 😉
There are a million sugar cookie recipes out there and sometimes it is hard to find just the right one. So if you find one that is to your liking, you can use it over and over for every holiday and occasion. This is just that recipe. Just switch up the icing or decorations to suit your theme and you have a delicious cookie always .
A good sugar cookie, to me, is one that is soft and chewy on the inside and slightly crunchy on the outside, with just the right amount of sweetness. I don’t need a lot of sugar sweet taste in mine, no, usually I like to make a yummy frosting for whatever the occasion and so usually this is sweet enough for me. Santa’s Sugar Cookie recipe is one I make every year. It started when the kids were little and wanted to leave cookies for when Santa came. My youngest announced one year that Santa would like white chocolate icing on his sugar cookie and so the tradition begin. I make several variations to this basic recipe, but always make a batch using the white chocolate butter cream frosting just for Santa …and of course, any little elves that might be hungry. 😉
This sugar cookie recipe is straight from the old Betty Crocker cookbook my mom used when I was a girl. A good basic recipe to use over and over …because who doesn’t like a sugar cookie 🙂
Santa's Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or you can use a nonstick pan.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
- Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1½-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- ½ cup white chocolate chip morsels
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 to 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Add the white chocolate chips and ⅓ cup of milk to a glass, microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave at 50% in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until the white chocolate is smooth. Allow to cool.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in melted and cooled white chocolate and then gradually add in confectioner’s sugar, about 1 cup at a time. Then add in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, followed by vanilla. Beat on high for about 1 to 3 minutes until the butter cream frosting is smooth and fluffy.
Frost and enjoy!