Mac & Cheese please! As a mom, I know you have many request for Mac & Cheese. Kids love it! I know my son could probably eat Mac & Cheese everyday as an afterschool snack alone.
Whenever I can, I like to make the real stuff, the good stuff, made from scratch. My son loves it and I know he is getting a better meal. This recipe is creamy, cheesy goodness …perfect as a side dish or ready to stand alone as a hearty main meal, serve with a salad and you have one happy kid. 🙂
Creamy Homestyle Mac&Cheese
By: Arl’s World
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (10 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) package rigatoni pasta or elbow macaroni, cooked
- In a big skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk the flour in gradually until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook and whisk continually for 2 minutes.
- Add in salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic; stir to combine.
- Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk.
- Cook and whisk continually for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- Add in half of the sharp cheddar cheese; stir.
- Add in all the extra-sharp cheddar cheese; stir until smooth.
- Take skillet off stove burner.
- Mix together the cooked macaroni and cheese mixture; transfer to a greased 13×9 inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs (optional)
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes