Well here we are …another week, another Friday and another cold winter day. If you saw my post, 5 Reasons We Don’t Like Winter In Texas, then you have figured out that I do not like cold weather. Maybe the occasional cool front in the fall, sure that is okay …it is actually a refreshing, welcoming change from the summer heat, but what we are experiencing now, not my cup of tea! But, on the positive side, one thing that is good about cold weather …it gives me more time to bake! Yay! What better thing to bake then Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars and even better they are healthier! 🙂
These are soft, chewy and filled with chocolate chips …melt in your mouth delicious! Okay, the chocolate chips are not exactly the healthy part in them …but hey, they do have lots of healthier ingredients! And they taste yummy!! Perfect for a cold winters day treat. My 13-year-old has given them a gold star rating! Seeing a smile on his face as he bites into one, knowing that they are a healthier version, well folks that is priceless to me. I decided if my son approved them, then they would be a perfect treat for all my friends over at Fiesta Friday today. Come on over and join the fun! Click on the link below. I hope you enjoy!!
Thanks for Visiting!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat the sugar, applesauce, butter, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla together until creamy.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda together. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat. Use a spatula to push the batter on the sides down.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for about 25 minutes.