I love flowers and I think Zinnias are one of the most beautiful of flowers. As a girl I remember helping my mom plant Zinnias and other flowers in the garden. Her Zinnias always looked so pretty …
All About Zinnias:
- Zinnias are one of the easiest annuals to grow, grow quickly, and bloom heavily. They make a massive burst of color in your summer garden. Zinnias have bright, solitary, daisy-like flowerheads on a single, stem.
- Zinnias are grown from seed; they grow very quickly in the right conditions. Zinnias do not like to be transplanted.
- Zinnias require full sun with a minimum daylight temperature of 60 degrees F.
- Zinnias need moderate soil moisture and light fertilizing
- To have bushier-shaped zinnia plants, pinch off an inch or so from the tips of the main stems while plants are still young
I ran across this very lovely poem and thought I would share.
Zinnias, stout and stiff,
Stand no nonsense: their colors
Stare, their leaves
Grow straight out, their petals
Jut like clipped cardboard,
Round, in neat flat rings.
Even cut and bunched
|Arranged to please us
In the house, in the water, they
Will hardly wilt– I know
Someone like zinnias: I wish
I were like zinnias.
~ Valerie Worth
To check out more of the last day of the AtoZ Challenge click here.