Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Yes, that ‘s right guys, Valentine’s Day …the most dreaded, disliked holiday of men. I think a lot of men feel pressured by this day. I suppose it has something to do with being expected to do something romantic on a certain day, a day set on a calendar by someone else, that is not of your choosing. It doesn’t have to be like that, you can have a good Valentine’s Day. Here are a few tips to help make the day a win win for you and her. 🙂
1. Probably the most important tip of all is Don’t forget! Valentine’s Day is February 14. Put a reminder somewhere … on your phone, desk calendar, write it on your hand. Doesn’t matter how you remember, as long as you do.
2. It IS NOT okay to skip Valentine’s Day. Okay, so you remember it is Valentine’s Day but you may think that this day doesn’t apply to you and your girl. It does, trust me! Whether you have dated 1 month or are married for 30 years, it should be acknowledged. You can however keep it low-key.
3. It IS okay to celebrate on a different day. Actually, sometimes it is better, especially if you have plans to go out for dinner. Often it is way to crowded at restaurants and the wait time can be more than you are willing to do.
4. Don’t wait till the last-minute, if you can avoid it. If you wait until the last-minute you will most likely end up running to the drug store and picking up a generic card and signing your name to it. Which is another Don’t. Don’t give her a generic card. We just want to think that on this one day you will put a little more effort and thought into it. If you do pick up a generic card, write some sort of sweet note inside to make it personal.
5. Do know that simple can be better if it comes from the heart. Words can move mountains …and get you what you want for Valentine’s Day! Write her a love letter or make her a homemade Valentine. Cook for her or order in and then watch a chick flick with her. We love these things, anytime you put the time and effort into making something with your hands for us it is always appreciated.
6. Don’t overspend. I say this if you are a couple sharing finances and are on a budget. She may stress or feel guilty over the fact that you spent too much on her when you can’t afford it. Sometimes you have to be creative. For instance; a gift certificate to a day spa/nail salon is great, if you can afford it. If you can’t afford it down scale some. Offer her a massage, complete with candles and some soft romantic music playing in the background.
Well there you have it, I hope some of these tips are helpful. Just relax and have a good time. Wishing all the couples out there a Happy Valentine’s Day!